Top Podcasters, Audio Content Creators Flock These Online Platforms in 2023
Online Audio Production Tools for Podcasters and Online Radio Broadcasters in 2023
Podcasting and online radio broadcasting are two popular forms of audio content creation that have grown exponentially in recent years. According to Edison Research¹, there were over 100 million monthly podcast listeners in the U.S. in 2021, and over 170 million monthly online radio listeners. These numbers are expected to increase further in 2023 and beyond, as more people consume audio content on various platforms and devices.
However, creating high-quality audio content is not an easy task. It requires a lot of skills, equipment, software, and time. Fortunately, there are some online audio production tools that can help podcasters and online radio broadcasters with their audio needs. These tools are web-based applications that allow users to record, edit, mix, master, distribute, and monetize their audio content online. They offer various features and benefits that can make audio production easier, faster, cheaper, and more accessible.
In this article, we will list some of the best online audio production tools for podcasters and online radio broadcasters in 2023, and discuss their pros and cons. We will also answer the question: is using these online tools worth it?
Spotify for Podcasters
Spotify for Podcasters is a free platform that allows podcasters to create and host their podcasts on Spotify, the world’s largest music streaming service. It provides powerful tools for beginners, pros, and everyone in between, such as:
- Unlimited hosting and distribution of podcasts everywhere.
- Recording and editing features with Anchor, Spotify’s podcast creation app.
- Analytics and fan engagement tools, such as Q&A and polls.
- Video podcasting capabilities that let users upload videos that fans can listen to or watch on Spotify.
- Ad and fan monetization opportunities, such as Spotify Audience Network and Spotify Paid Subscriptions.
The benefits of using Spotify for Podcasters are:
- It can help podcasters reach a massive and engaged audience on Spotify, which has over 365 million monthly active users².
- It can help podcasters grow their audience with fan interaction features that can increase listener loyalty and retention.
- It can help podcasters earn money from their podcasts with various revenue streams that can support their creative vision.
The downsides of using Spotify for Podcasters are:
- It can limit podcasters’ control over their podcasts, as they have to follow Spotify’s terms and conditions, content policies, and technical specifications.
- It can limit podcasters’ flexibility over their podcasts, as they have to use Anchor as their podcast creation app, which may not have all the features and plugins that they want or need.
- It can limit podcasters’ visibility over their podcasts, as they may not be able to access or integrate with other platforms or services that they use or prefer.
TuneIn is a free platform that allows online radio broadcasters to stream their live or recorded radio shows to millions of listeners around the world. It provides various tools for broadcasters, such as:
- Easy setup and integration with any broadcasting software or hardware.
- Customizable station page with logo, description, social media links, and schedule.
- Analytics and listener feedback tools, such as ratings, reviews, comments, and chat.
- Ad monetization opportunities with TuneIn’s ad network partners.
The benefits of using TuneIn are:
- It can help online radio broadcasters reach a global and diverse audience on TuneIn, which has over 75 million monthly active users³.
- It can help online radio broadcasters enhance their brand identity and awareness with a personalized station page that can showcase their content and personality.
- It can help online radio broadcasters generate revenue from their broadcasts with ads that can match their target audience and genre.
The downsides of using TuneIn are:
- It can expose online radio broadcasters to legal risks if they do not have the proper licenses or permissions to broadcast music or other copyrighted content.
- It can affect online radio broadcasters’ audio quality if they do not have a stable internet connection or enough bandwidth to stream their broadcasts smoothly.
- It can compete with online radio broadcasters’ own websites or apps if they want to drive more traffic or engagement to their own platforms or channels.
Emergence is a free plugin that allows users to create gorgeous layered soundscapes or complex delay patterns with real-time granular synthesis. It works by recording a signal into a buffer that plays back that signal into short pieces called grains. The grains then bounce around in a delay-like fashion, creating some genuinely captivating sounds on a wide array of instruments. It provides various parameters for users to control the grain generation, such as:
- Grain size: the length of each grain in milliseconds.
- Grain density: the number of grains per second.
- Grain pitch: the pitch shift of each grain in semitones.
- Grain pan: the stereo position of each grain.
- Grain feedback: the amount of signal that is fed back into the buffer.
The benefits of using Emergence are:
- It can help users create unique and original sounds that can enhance their audio production and creativity.
- It can help users experiment with different settings and effects that can produce unexpected and surprising results.
- It can help users save time and money, as it is a free plugin that does not require any additional hardware or software.
The downsides of using Emergence are:
- It can be difficult to use for beginners, as it has a lot of parameters and options that can be confusing or overwhelming.
- It can be unpredictable and unstable, as it relies on random and chaotic processes that can produce unwanted or unpleasant sounds.
- It can be CPU-intensive, as it processes a lot of data and calculations that can slow down or crash the host application.
Online audio production tools are web-based applications that can help podcasters and online radio broadcasters with their audio needs. They offer various features and benefits that can make audio production easier, faster, cheaper, and more accessible. However, they also have some drawbacks and limitations that can affect the quality, control, and flexibility of the audio content.
Therefore, the answer to the question: is using these online tools worth it? depends on the user’s goals, preferences, and resources. For some users, these online tools may be sufficient and convenient for their audio production needs. For others, these online tools may be inadequate or unsuitable for their audio production standards. Ultimately, the user has to weigh the pros and cons of each online tool and decide which one best suits their audio production purposes.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 8/13/2023
(1) Spotify for Podcasters. https://podcasters.spotify.com/.
(2) Spotify for Podcasters. https://podcasters.spotify.com/.
(3) Podcasters | TuneIn | Free Internet Radio. https://tunein.com/podcasters/.
(4) Podcasters | TuneIn | Free Internet Radio. https://tunein.com/podcasters/.
(5) Facebook Live Audio for Podcasters and Online Radio Broadcasters. https://spacial.com/facebook-live-audio-for-online-radio-broadcasters/.
(6) 4 Differences Between Live Radio and Podcasting | Radio.co. https://radio.co/blog/differences-between-live-radio-and-podcasting.
(7) The 10 Best Free Online Audio Editors for Any Producer in 2023 – LANDR Blog. https://blog.landr.com/online-audio-editor/.
(8) 6 Epic FREE Tools for Music Production 2023 | Boombox. https://boombox.io/blog/6-epic-free-tools-for-music-production-2023/.
(9) Best Free DAWs for Making Music in 2023 – Ditto Music. https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/best-free-daws-for-making-music/.
(10) 10 Best Music Production Software of 2023 (Free & Online) – FounderJar. https://www.founderjar.com/music-production-software/.
(11) 35 FREE Online Audio Tools for Editing Audio Online (2023) – Hip Hop Makers. https://hiphopmakers.com/free-online-audio-tools-music-tools.
(12) 10 Best Free Music Making Software for Beginners  – Movavi. https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/free-music-making-software.html.